descript

Check some of jaythreeoh's past and future written works, and enjoy his current musings... plus there are some dope tunes to bump as you read along.
http://slowFlowOnline.com

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tell 'Em Chali Sent Ya


I was re-reading my Faithful/Priceless post, and noticed that towards the end, I mentioned a late night out, as me and Scotty had just wrapped another interview/shoot.  That was on 9.15.  Well, the fruits of our labor have finally seen the light of day!

Yes, I take some of the blame for it being two and a half months before publication, but not all of it.  I admit I was struggling getting this piece completed.  Usually when I write, the piece will simply fall into place as I move it along.  For some reason, though, I had a block whenever I sat down to attempt banging this one out.

It would be six weeks from the time that I interviewed former underground Hip Hop set Jurassic 5 notable Chali 2na before I submitted the completed work!

tunes available after the jump...

Either way, it was sent in to Okayplayer.com on 11.1, and ready to go as Scotty had already submitted his images.  I'm not gonna say I don't know why it sat in the inbox of OKP staff for a month before it went live on the site.  I'm just gonna say that such may or may not have been the case; with the leverage given to the former!

Well, the Chali 2na interview is up now, and available for your viewing and reading pleasure.  I mention in the piece that the dude is truly real.  Yes, I know that "truly real" is a weird paradox.  But, I've not met too many industry heads that were as down to earth as the one Charles Stewart.  It's always fun to interview someone where it stops being so much question/answer and more of a conversation, which we did for the better part of an hour.

Though Chali initially popularized his name by getting his graf game up, the moniker was bestowed upon him by the same person who gave him his government name:

I just had to totally embrace the "tuna" thing.  My father gave me that name when I was like eight, seven.  I'm a junior, I'm the IV.  His nickname in the streets when he was a youngster was "Pee Wee."  He ain't wanna call me Lil' Pee Wee!  Shit naw, I was like, I wasn't gonna answer to that!  [laughs]  But, he started calling me Tuna from the Star-Kist commercials and shit.  Charlie Tuna, ha ha!  Tell 'em Charlie sent ya.  It was a family thing at first.  Then he started calling me that shit in front of friends, and it just stuck.  When I left the Chi, I thought I had escaped that shit.  But, I started getting serious about the eMCeeing and shit, and I was just like, you know what?  I'm just gonna embrace it as a whole.  Because I started taggin' "2na" at the crib.  That's where that whole shit came from.
That's the story on the name.  Now, the tunes... I can't front.  Before I met duke, I was not really a fan!  I used to (and still do a little) poke fun at the way he rhymes, making my voice as deep as it can go, and robotic-ly scatting gibberish that happens to rhyme.   I had to eat my giberred words when I finally listened to his debut lp, Fish Outta Water, as it's pretty dope!  And while I haven't peeped it yet, I'm told that his pre-release mixtape Fish Market, pt. 2 is packed with mad heat in anticipation of his upcoming sophomore joint, due in 2011.  Here are two of my favorites from FOW:

Chali 2na - "So Crazy"


Chali 2na - "When Will I See You Again" f. Elzhi


Chali and his little/"big" brother Laid Law ripped the performance of "So Crazy" during their stop at The Club at Water Street, when we caught up with them in September.  Very fresh.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the Baby Loves Hip Hop presents: Dino 5 children's story CD that he was a part of.  If you have children, or need a stocking stuffer for young'ns in your realm, this is a really cool, family appropriate disc that you may likely not grow too exhausted of.  Translation: if you want to kill Dora and her little Spanish-singin' @$$, cop this disc!

That's about it for the Chali 2na scene.  Leave comments; let me know how you feel about the piece.  I've got much more to rock 'n roll out on you fools, too.  Y'all stay up.

No comments:

Post a Comment