descript

Check some of jaythreeoh's past and future written works, and enjoy his current musings... plus there are some dope tunes to bump as you read along.
http://slowFlowOnline.com

Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm not fancy; I live the Common Lyfe

What's happening, good folk?  I'm sitting here reminiscing about the summer of 2005.  It was a special summer for me; it was the time I met the beautiful woman that would become my wife.  That's why I'm very excited about this post.

My then-girlfriend and I had our first almost-date at the 2005 Rochester MusicFest.  Her and her homies had already copped their tickets, and I was headed out also, but on the grind.  I had just picked up a freelance writing gig at City Newspaper, Rochester's premier newsweekly, and had my first big feature covering the event.  She and I got to chop it up, and I was able to wow her with my charm and boyish good looks (she's still here, ain't she?).

Well, the introduction to the...


cover story that I penned read as such:
Soularized
slowFlow's jaythreeoh helps us sift MusicFest's crunk, R&B, and Hip Hop

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty charged up for the weekend of July 16 and 17 to roll around. If you haven't heard about it, you should've. I think it's going to be pretty big. Huge, even. No, I don't work for the promotions committee of Rochester MusicFest. No, Mayor Bill didn't slide me any dead presidents to say this.  More
Along with the intro, City hooked me up to blaze two interviews: (then) newcomer Lyfe Jennings, fresh off of his newly released debut lp, and one of my favorite lyricists, Common.

At the time, I was digging on Lyfe hard (pause).  I haven't felt him the same (seriously, pause) since then.  But, I enjoyed hearing him squirm out of explaining if he's supposed to be a 26yo ex-con, and had been out for a couple after banging out a 10-year stretch, how is it that he did not commit the punishable offense in his early teens?!  Whatever mathematics he was kicking, I still liked the album, and bumped it on my radio show.  Here's the piece from City's archives, and here's a nicer copy I threw together.

From when he was begging for money, right up until he tried to take over your thoughts, I've been a huge Common fan.  Well, I still am, but that last joint was not a good look, and I dug Electric Circus!  It was still pretty cool chatting to the Chi-Town native.  Plus I was all about that BE lp.  That shit was dope on plastic!  RIP Dilla.  Again, here's the City archive piece, and the nicer copy.

My lovely wife just came in from a late night out w/her co-workers, celebrating a good friend's birthday.  She asked if she's going to lose me to the blogosphere.  "They're going to be like, 'How's your husband?'  And I'll be like, 'I don't know; he's locked himself in the room to blog!'"  She's so "dramatical."  I don't think she'll lose me to blogging.  But, I'm just getting started, so we'll see... good night, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment