descript

Check some of jaythreeoh's past and future written works, and enjoy his current musings... plus there are some dope tunes to bump as you read along.
http://slowFlowOnline.com

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The MF'n Life, eh?


No, I didn't select this title so that I could drop F-bombs on the low.  I'm talking aboot the bombshell firecracker Canuck that goes by the name Melanie Fiona.  She's sexy as hell, can sing her @$$ off, and if she could recite verbatim Rev. Brown's sermon from the Sexual Chocolate scene of Coming To America, she'd be half as dope as my wife is (I love you, baby).

Anyway, I linked up with her dope @$$ last year, on the brink of her burgeoning popularity... circa August 2009.  This was quite a bit earlier than her debut release, The Bridge, dropped in the States; just before "It Kills Me" hit the airwaves, but just after "Give It To Me Right" had her catching ears of neck-rollin' pigeons from T-Dot to Texas.  I saw her tear the stage down at Water Street Music Hall here in Rochester, which gave me good reason to dub her a modern-day Anna Mae Bullock.  Melanie, showing a glimpse of her GT background, performed what would become my favorite from the release, that I'll share here:

Melanie Fiona - "Ay Yo"


She also performed...

a cover of Dr. West's heartbreak hit in a most creative way.  Fiona, along with ?uestlove and some other session musicians, pulled off a remix EP of one-take, stripped down, organic versions of her tunes, and a couple covers.  Here's one:

Melanie Fiona - "Heartless (Illadelphonics Live rmx)" f. The Illadelphonics


I tell you, I get to writing and sometimes get lost in a thought.  I almost forgot the main reason why I started this post!  I need more sleep.  Okay, MF'n Melanie Fiona has been hard at work on her sophomore release, tentatively titled The MF Life.  There is a lead-off single that I felt the need to share with y'all:

Melanie Fiona - "Gone & Never Coming Back"


Melanie knows ballads are where she makes the most impact, and she doesn't disappoint here.  She also didn't disappoint during the :30 minutes plus I got to kick it with her for the feature that me and Scotty did for Verbicide Magazine.  You can check out the feature here.  Comment below and tell me what you think!

I cannot bring up the nation's unofficial capital without mentioning Mr. International, di one call Kardinal Offishall.  Kardi has been holding his city on his back (out loud and proud, as opposed to the subliminal messages of his fellow T-Dotter, Drake) since 19-how long.  The slept-on but dope 2008 Not 4 Sale featured this track, in which Kardi played both eMCee and producer on this collab with another Canuck:

Kardinal Offishall - "Family Tree (Still Eyerize)" f. Glenn Lewis


Damn, now I gotta get on the other Offishall/Lewis banger that I used to love playing on my show.  This one was the title cut to his never-officially-released-but-I-still-got-a-copy follow-up to the critically acclaimed 2002 debut.  Easy, Mr. Lewis, mi say eazaaay:

Glenn Lewis - "Back For More" f. Kardinal Offishall


One more, then I'm gone... promise!  This is not a Canuck, nor does he have any links to Canada, but the Salaam Remi (one of my favorites on the boards)-produced title cut from his debut lp had the R&B charts and clubs a-frenzy this summer.  The half Mexican/Black, San Pedro, CA native Miguel released All I Want Is You a few weeks ago, and this is the follow-up single to the smash debut:

Miguel - "Sure Thing"


I haven't heard the entire joint yet, but will keep y'all posted once I have a minute to check it out.

All this yappin'... I feel like I gotta scream Wrap It Up, B. on myself!  A'ight, mi gone... soon come back, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment